STOCKHOLM VILLAGE PARK
Village activity once extended to the lake, with a grain warehouse, brickyard, lumber yard, tannery, fish company, jail, and several residences. Periodic flooding led to the departure of the last of these buildings in the 1940s. After years with little use, the land was donated to the village to establish a public park stretching from the railroad tracks to the lake. The upper expanse of open grass, historically known as “the meadow,” has become the village green, doubling as a parking lot on major festive occasions. Closer to the lake are picnic tables, campsites, a boat launch, and restrooms. A 750-foot pier originally built in 1885 to harbor steamboats has become a favorite place to stroll or fish. The park is also an important venue for art fairs and other events, drawing people from far-flung cities and towns in the Upper Midwest.